Colac (03) 5232 5100
Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Transitional Housing

The Transitional Housing Program is a free service providing assistance and support to eligible adults and families experiencing homelessness. The aim is to find secure permanent accommodation.  Referral pathways are through Salvo Connect for Transitional Housing.

What we do

The Program offers
  • Case management support to adults and families to address issues relating to homelessness
  • Linkage to relevant support services
  • Schools maternal health
  • Financial counselling
  • General counselling
  • The Orange Door with links to Family Support.

Who we care for

People experiencing homelessness, living in inadequate accommodation or people with specific accommodation requirements.

Commonly asked questions

How long can we live there?
Transitional housing guidelines are up to a maximum of 12 months. It is recommended to commence the application process for permanent housing as soon as possible. Housing support will assist in finding options but are unable to provide references.

How much will it cost?
The rent is calculated by Salvation Army Housing which is 25% of your total household income.

Do I still get support if I move?
Yes housing support will remain in place if you move. The length of support is determined individually. Referral pathways are sought for ongoing support.

Is there help to help me move?
Funding is extremely limited in terms of assistnce.

What options do I have for housing?
Everyone needs to have an application with the Office of Housing to live in transitional housing. Other options include cooperative housing and private rental.

Do I need a fridge and washing machine and other essential items like beds when I move into the transitional property?
The properties come with fridge, washing machine, lounge suite, dining table and chairs, beds, kettle toaster, crockery, cutlery, vacuum cleaner, mop bucket and broom. No items can be removed from the property and belong to Salvation Army Housing.

What happens if we cannot find housing?
If you cannot secure housing within the time frame Salvation Army Housing will apply for an order of possession.

Can I have a pet?
Pets are at the discretion of Salvation Army management and require evidence of registration and a pet application. Some properties are within a body corporate and do not permit pets at all.

What to bring

  • Identification
  • Centrelink income statement
  • Bank Statement with name and account details
  • Pension Card
  • Medicare Card



Transitional Housing 03 5232 5100
Salvo Connect 03 5223 9220




Also see: