Colac (03) 5232 5100
Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Social Welfare Worker

The Social Worker or Welfare Worker will assist the client and their family to address life challenges and enhance their wellbeing.

They can support with emotional, financial, or social difficulties, including living with life changes brought on by illness. In general, they advise clients on ways they might adjust to their situation and assist in accessing services such as

  • Legal assistance
  • Housing
  • Transportation
  • Housework
  • Shopping and
  • Home healthcare for those in need.

What we do

One of the most difficult things a person can go through is dealing with acute, chronic, and terminal illnesses and the changes that these can bring. The Social or Welfare Worker will connect patients with services  and resources in order to help them cope.

These services include

  • Providing patient education and counseling
  • Advising and educating family care givers, to assist them in understanding, dealing with, and supporting the client or patient.
  • Making referrals to other services and coordination of these
  • Address legal issues, such as assisting with VCAT hearings relating to their patients.
  • Assist with the planned discharge from care facility to home or other care facility.
  • Advocate for clients or patients to resolve crises.
  • Organizing support groups.
  • Identify environmental impediments to client or patient progress.

Who we can help

Adults with no upper age restriction.

What to bring

  • Medicare card
  • Health Care Card and/or concession card (if you have one).

This service is supported by the Victorian Government and the Australian Government of Health



Social or Welfare Worker
03 5232 5100



Monday to Friday
9:00 am to 5:00 pm 


Also see: 


How to access this service
A referral is a letter or form asking for assistance.

We accept referrals for in-patients and out-patients from Doctors, Clinicians, DVA, NDIS and My Aged Care.  We also accept self-referrals.  Pick up a self-referral form from Main Reception.

If you are 65 Years old and over, or  identify as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander and are 50 years old or over, you will need a referral through My Aged Care to receive government subsidised services if they are not related to a period of rehabilitation or a specialist clinic service. You can contact My Aged Care through the website or by phone or request support from our staff to complete this referral.