The Nutrition Department consists of a team of Accredited Practising Dietitians who assist in the prevention, treatment and management of nutrition related disease. Our Dietitians provide individualised assessment, education and advice that is specific to the nutritional needs of our clients. We can develop meal plans, recommend supplements where necessary and provide education about meal preparation
What we do
Our dietitians have clinical expertise in the treatment and management of a range of conditions including:
- malnutrition, poor appetite or recent weight loss
- nutrition related diseases (eg diabetes, coeliac disease, food allergy/intolerance, eating disorders, high cholesterol, high blood pressure)
- nutrition deficiencies (eg low iron)
- weight loss advice
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (including Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis)
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome including diarrhoea or constipation
- pregnancy or breastfeeding
- heart disease
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- wound healing
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.
We have experience working with palliative care clients and are able to support clients who are being seen by Barwon Health’s Cachexia clinic.
We have experience in the management of disabilities such as Cerebral Palsy, Cystic Fibrosis, Motor Neurone Disease, Muscular Dystrophy, Multiple Sclerosis and Acquired Brain Injuries. We work alongside support organisations specific to these conditions to improve nutritional status and quality of life.
Who we care for
We care for people of all ages. We can provide services to people who are inpatients at Colac Area Health or living in the community.
Commonly asked questions
When are appointments available? Is there a cost?
Appointments are available Monday-Friday between 9 am and 4 pm at low/no cost.
What to bring
- Medicare card
- Health Care Card and/or concession card (if you have one)
- List of medicines you are currently taking (or the boxes), including medicines you have bought without a prescription, such as herbal supplements and vitamins
- Glasses, hearing aid, walking frame if needed
This service is supported by the Victorian Government and the Australian Government of Health