Our Hospital in the Home (HITH) service aims to provide high quality care for patients in the comfort of their own home. The care provided is equal to what you would receive if you were being treated at the hospital.
What we do
After a stay in hospital, we aim to get you home and provide the care you would otherwise receive in hospital. You remain under the care of the doctor you were admitted under and are seen by nurses who deliver your care needs.
Frequency of visits will depend on your care needs.
The nurses are in constant communication with your medical team about your progress and needs. You will be seen by a doctor once a week at a minimum.
We provide a range of services, including, but not limited to:
- Intravenous antibiotics for infections
- Complex wound dressings
- Post surgical care
- Managing medication for blood thinning (anti-coagulation)
- Treatment of chest infections, such as exacerbation of cystic fibrosis
- Diabetes management
Who we care for
- We care for any patient who have acute care requirements who can be cared for at home.
- We look after people across the Colac Otway Shire.
- We accept referrals for patients from other hospitals.
What to expect
- Depending on your care needs, you will be seen or called once per day, at a minimum
- you can contact an experienced nurse 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week if you run into any problems, or if are feeling unwell.
- We provide all of the equipment and medications required during your HITH stay.
- We always plan our home visits ahead of time and aim to provide a rough estimate on when we will be there. We will notify you if we are running late due to unforeseen circumstances
- You must ensure that you are home for your planned visits. You also need to ensure that you are contactable at other times.
If your health declines at home, a HITH clinician can review you in your home, and if necessary you may need to be reviewed at Urgent Care. If required, we can facilitate an admission into the hospital or presentation to Accident and Emergency/Urgent Care.