Driver Assessments

Our Occupational Therapists aim to ensure that motorists are able to drive safely.

An Occupational Therapy Driver Assessment may be necessary if:

  • You have a medical condition(s) that may be affecting your ability to drive safely. This could be due to a physical injury, head injury, disability, stroke or psychiatric condition.
  • Your physical skills or thinking abilities may have changed since you first got your driver licence
  • Occupational Therapy Driver Assessments are conducted by a VicRoads registered Driver Trained Occupational Therapist. They aim to ensure that people are safe and able to drive, where possible.

An Occupational Therapy Driver Assessment involves:

  • An off-road assessment completed by the registered OT Driver Assessor and
  • An on-road assessment completed with a certified driving instructor and registered OT Driver Assessor. These will take place on separate days. Colac Area Health complete driver assessments for car assessments only.

Commonly asked questions

How much does it cost?
There is a cost for the Occupational Therapy Driver Assessment, which must be paid in full prior to completing your off-road assessment. This will be discussed when your appointment is scheduled.

There is an additional cost for the Driving Instructor for the on-road assessment. This is required to be paid directly to the Driving Instructor on the day of the on-road assessment.

What to bring to your appointment

  • Your driver’s licence
  • List of current medications and up to date medical health summary (through your GP)
  • Glasses
  • Any correspondence you have from your Doctor, Specialists or VicRoads


Driver Assessments:
03 5232 5100



Driver Assessments: Not currently available at Colac Area Health
Please seek alternative providers in Warrnambool or Geelong


Also see: 


How to access this service
A VicRoads Medical Report must be completed by your treating Medical Practitioner before an Occupational Therapy Driving Assessment can occur.

You can download the medical form required from the VicRoads website.

VicRoads will advise you in writing if you are required to undertake an occupational therapy driver assessment. If you require an appointment please call Main Reception.